Leadership Coaching Tip and 360 Feedback
While conducting some recent research regarding Leadership performance and 360 Feedback, effectiveness I came across a recent study that explored the differences in behaviour change in the workplace, between:
360 degree feedback
Executive Coaching was shown to be as effective as Training Effectiveness, but demonstrated a greater effect than Managerial Training and 360 degree feedback.
I decided to critically evaluate the findings, as I wanted to understand how the authors came to this conclusion.
The Ashton Business School meta-analysis study reviewed 24 studies, involving 2724 participants.
In Summary identified between Executive Coaching, 360 Feedback and Training was the following:
- Training staff is effective, well received and results in positive learning and behavior change.
- Managerial Training alone has a lower effect.
- Managerial Training has a low to moderate effect when a target behavior is identified and results measured.
- 360-degree feedback has a very low effect due to ambiguous measures and inexperienced raters, and/or managers with low coaching ability.
- 360-degree feedback will only be moderately effective for some based on personality factors such as a person’s level of self-efficacy (high self-efficacy = acceptance of feedback).
- Internal coaching was more effective when multi-source feedback was excluded.
- Executive Coaching that is flexibly designed and delivered has a moderate to high effect.
- Executive Coaches who have a deep understanding of the workings of an organisation have an equal effect to Training effectiveness.
- Coaching via Skype or Telephone facilitated a confidential environment.
What the research suggests is that most organisations are going to achieve better results through their people if they incorporate a multidisciplinary approach to improve staff performance. Such as:
Leadership Performance ideas:
- Training offered to all staff where performance is measured before and 3, 6 and 12 months later to investigate if there have been improvements. This allows the business to explore if the time and money invested has been a good return on investment (ROI) for the business.
- “Coach the Coach” – train Managers to be more effective in setting specific targets for themselves and their staff that are not ambiguous and help them to deliver 360-feedback in an effective way.
- Engage a coaching program that is tailored to the individual that can be delivered in person and via phone or Skype.
- Partner with or employ a Coach who has developed a variety of approaches from evidence-based theories, who can be considered part of the business and help Leaders deliver 360 feedback effectively.
If you would like to discuss this topic further, or are interested to know more about our unique approach to:
Team Building Workshops
I am providing an offer till December 10, to trail our simple, effective, evidence-based 360-feedback program here 360 – The PROSPEROUS WORKPLACE – 2018 Offer FLYER
I hope this information has been of value. If you would like to know more about the research above or how 360 can lead to greater Leadership performance please download our 360 – The PROSPEROUS WORKPLACE – 2018 Offer FLYER or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org