Any Leader struggles during times of stress and change
However if no support is provided bad decisions and unwanted resignations increase.
It is critical Leaders learn simple ways to become a respected, valued and a stress-less leader who has more time for self, family and health.
You are not alone if you are working longer hours and still feel you are not on top of everyone and everything.
That voice in your head saying “I am failing and not doing enough” might be on repeat and lets not forget that lots of people are being laid off, and you or one of your team could be next.
CEOs, Executives. Senior Leaders, Team Leaders sadly are all experiencing the above. Nothing is certain right now, and it is having a huge impact on our mental health and resilience.
And a life of no stress seems unrealistic right now, while being able to stress-less might be a better goal.
It is within you to weather this storm but you are going to need some support. And this is NOT a sign of failure it is quite the opposite. You are taking control of what you can control right now, which is what do you today, tomorrow, and next week which can create the best outcome for you, your people (family and work) and your community at large.
Leadership and Executive Coaches are here to help you weather this storm.
In the mean time try my top 5 Productivity and Wellbeing tips
- Schedule 5-10 minute breaks in between Virtual Meetings (like you would in the office – stretch your legs, go outside, reset your mind, breathe)
- Daily 5-10 minute “Tap Tap” meeting with your team every morning. A high level virtual or in person meeting with all your team where you just “tap” on key obstacles and issues. (Heaps of research that Connection with others improves mental health significantly)
- Get back to your routines pre-covid. For example arise, exercise and eat breakfast at the time you used to. Remember to brush your teeth even if working remotely. (These simple routines help create control and certainty which we need right now)
- Delay cocktail hour and go for a walk instead. (I am sure I don’t have to explain why this is a good idea for your overall health!)
- Implement a Mindfulness Program as part of your Leadership Development or Work Health and Safety Programs. (Don’t know about Mindfulness? It is the biggest game changer for mental health and performance seeing a $4,200 per employee increase in productivity with a cost to implement being anything from $0 to 10% of your gains. Book a call with me on this if you want o know more).
And one of my favourite tips when having a really bad day is to write down 3 things I am grateful for. This resets your mind from your reactive brain (amygdala) to your logical brain (pre-frontal cortex). Lots of science on how effective this one is!
Lastly, book a call with me to discuss how I can help you or one of your people. This call is a free 15-30 minute consult to work out what is going to be the most effective next step.
I hope you get value from my tips above.
Margie Ireland, Director of Connect-Inspire-Transform, works with CEO’s, executives, HR professionals, managers and leaders. Margie is a Psychologist with a strong commercial background of 25 years and specialises in supporting highly capable leaders to thrive in challenging times. To discuss your needs and to book an initial no-obligation 15 minute call. Alternatively, take a look at Margie’s Tailored Leadership Coaching packages.